Pages

May 23, 2012

Cannes, Day 6: Tears on Tears

Day 6 of the festival was not one to particularly remember, except for a single film that blew me away.

The morning began with a nice little fruit salad from the place across the street and a walk over to the palais in order to see one of the in competition films, You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet!. Due to the exclamation mark, I made the (fair) assumption that it would be a rather upbeat and exciting movie. I was wrong.

Most people fell asleep or walked out of the film (aka all my friends except for me, Takara, and Ari). I could understand their point. It was rather boring, but at the very least I could appreciate its very meta aspirations. Alas, it was somewhat painful to sit through, but you can read my full review here.

After the screening, we ran over to the Salle du 60 (which was no longer blown away) to meet Rawson and Arthur because they had left the earlier screening 20 minutes before it ended. We got there and stood in the drizzle as we waited for Amour

The movie was unbelievable - definitely the best in competition film I have seen to date, although it has received far less publicity than many of the American films (damned celebrity culture!). I was crying for literally an hour and a half of the 2 hour movie. After, Rawson told me that the entire time he wanted to ask me if I wanted to leave, but wasn't sure if that was rude. Here is my full review of the film.

After, we grabbed a quick lunch and returned to the Lumiere in order to beg for tickets to In Another Country, which starred the lovely French actress Isabelle Huppert, who was also a supporting cast member in Amour. The movie was fine, but didn't really have much of a point, which you can read about here.

What was most exciting about seeing the film was that after, we were right next to Isabelle, and to see the French fawn over her was a truly fun experience, as she is a great actress who deserves fame, not as a member of the cult of celebrity, but rather as an acknowledgment of her breadth and talent.

We went back after the film to change, but Hayley and I ended up taking a two hour nap. We met up with Zoe for a 9 o'clock dinner reservation, which was really fun. Arthur had to leave early to go to another reservation at a club. Dinner was delicious and affordable, for Cannes at least. After, a few of us tried to meet Arthur at the club, which may as well have been situated in Timbuktu, only to discover that we were way underdressed. Can't these clubs make up their minds about dress codes? At least the walk was beautiful.

We took a cab back to the hotel and crashed. Hayley slept in my extra bed and we pillow talked for awhile. A great end to a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment