Pages

May 21, 2012

Cannes, Day 4: (Red Carpet)^3

Each day just seems to get more and more exciting, doesn't it?

This morning began with a venture to a little theater called the Star with Takara in order to see Michel Gondry's new film, The We and the I. After several missed turns and a few drops of rain, we found the theater, only to be told to return in an hour. We sat in a cafe, in which I wrote a review while eating an omelette as Takara sipped her coffee.

We went to the movie, and although they tried to turn us away (they didn't understand what the passes meant), we got in thanks to the help of one of the producers. The film was interesting, attempting to explore the urbanscape within the confines of a single bus, but I am still unsure of my final feelings about it. Read my review here.

We got out of the screening but had to sprint back to the college in order to make a group meeting with Gregory Quinn, the head of corporate development for Caribbean Cinema, a large exhibition company in the caribbean. We sprinted so fast in fact, that Takara's legs came out from under her while in the middle of a conversation. I turned to see why she wasn't responding and found her on the ground. Don't worry, though. She was fine.

We made it to the talk, which was very interesting, focusing on what it takes to run movie theaters, where the revenue comes from, and how the industry is changing. There was a particularly strong focus on the shift from traditional 35 mm film to digital, and how shifting patterns are leading to challenges within exhibition.

After that, we hung out for  a little bit before getting changed to go to the premieres. It was tux time, and I was ready, prepared to go to three premieres.

The first was Lawless, which I was concerned about making because it was in high demand with such a star-studded cast. I began begging early, and Sharon and I shared our initial frustrations. That is, until some guy walked up to me and handed me a ticket, simply saying "You're a lucky guy." And I thought to myself, he's so right.

Sharon found a ticket as well (Hayley had already gone in with some older gentleman), and so the two of us walked up the steps of the red carpet into the balcony. That was red carpet #1. The film itself was very average, and you can read my review here.

Next up was The Sapphires, an Australian film telling the story of four Aboriginal girls who sing for the US Army during the Vietnam War. Magically, Takara had already gotten us all tickets for that and for Dracula, which was playing at 12:30 (although Zoe got me mine!), so we were set. We got nutella/banana paninis, except for Rawson who said no to the bananas (damned allergies), and made our way inside. Of course Hayley didn't finish hers in time, so I ate half.

The movie was very fun and light and I really enjoyed it, although I can only think of it as a lesser Dreamgirls. You can read my full review here, but it was a really nice break from most of the other movies I have been seeing.

Last on the list was Dracula 3D. We already had our tickets so we just swooped into the line. We walked the red carpet for the third time, went inside and picked up our ridiculous 3D glasses. The cast and director were there, of course, as in the other two screenings, but we were initially disappointed by the failure of the film to deliver the promised 3D. Then the lights turned on and we discovered that there were technical difficulties. The screening resumed, in an... interesting reinterpretation of the classic. Here's that review.

Most people in our group left as the movie started. It was, after all, a 12:30 AM screening. Takara and I walked home and discussed the film, at which point I got a nosebleed. Apparently I was experiencing the gory movie in 5D the whole time and didn't even know it. By then it was now. 3:30 in the morning, so I'm off to bed. Tomorrow I have to catch up on actually writing some of these reviews.

No comments:

Post a Comment