Pages

June 5, 2011

"East Harlem" - Beirut

So I don't know how many of you know about Beirut. I had heard of them awhile ago but I never really thought much about them until I heard "Scenic World" at the Arts House Dance Company show this Spring. (They're amazing. Check them out)

Also watch this cool stop motion music video of the song that I saw online.


Anyway, today I heard their new single "East Harlem" for the first time.

It's really chill and smooth and just plain nice to listen to. Also, the puppies on the single cover are just plain adorable. I can't even handle it.

Anyway, while the lyrics are pretty morbid and sad, the upbeat tapping of the tempo gives it the perfect rainy day feel. I just want to drive and listen to this all day long. That's something I've always admired about Beirut. They don't just let the morbidity overwhelm the song. I feel like behind every sad lyric there is a positive beat that seems to say, "Hey. Sometimes shit happens and it sucks but try to remember that there's plenty of good to come."

Beirut - East Harlem

It definitely won't be up some people's alley. It's a folksy song and Beirut is either hit or miss (at least for me), but I think this song is a pretty good hit.

Enjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment