Pages

June 18, 2011

Chihuly - Through the Looking Glass

Today I went to the Chihuly - Through the Looking Glass exhibit at the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston, and I have to say, my mind was blown.

Which is an interesting phrase to choose, seeing that Dale Chihuly specializes in blown glass sculptures.


.



Anyway, the exhibit was truly incredible to see. The technique and refinement with which each piece of glass is blown is exquisite, although the credit for the actual blowing technique should be accredited to his team, as he is no longer able to blow the glass himself.

But that should not by any means take away the credit from Chihuly himself. While the glass does not come directly from him, the ideas and concepts are Chihuly through and through, as indicated by the magnificent drawings he made, as the colors help inspire him.







This Ikebana Boat is one of the first things you see when you walk in. It was inspired by a time in which Chihuly was throwing glass into a river in Finland (or some other country in Northern Europe) and had the Finnish boys collect the glass in their boats. Personally, I think that this is what it would have looked like if the singing sea creatures had overtaken Ariel and Eric's boat during 'Kiss the Girl'.






Just one example of Chihuly's magnificent garden creations. The detail and time that must have gone into both the individual pieces as well as the overall presentation must have been incredible.




The Chandelier Room was actually unbelievable. Each of these pieces could have thousands of individual blown glass parts that make up the whole. I really want the blue one for my house in the future. I just need to make sure I have a house with 30 foot ceilings.





Probably the coolest part of the exhibit was the Persian Ceiling, which was entirely made of glass. The art is put on top of the glas and light shines through to create a magical lighting effect. I felt like I was in the Great Barrier Reef or something. Totally insane.



 The exhibit is in the MFA from April 10 - August 7. I definitely recommend it to anyone who can make it out there.


No comments:

Post a Comment